Wednesday, November 24, 2010

something to be Thankful for

I can't believe it's been so long since I updated this, but things have been going okay. Last month, Aidan was supposed to do the baclofen pump trial, but on the day I took him he was as limp as a wet noodle. There was no way for the physical therapists to gauge his tone since he was so loose so we canceled the procedure for that day. Right around Halloween, Aidan got a cold and had to be put on antibiotics so that put the trial off again. I just got a call today and he is scheduled to go in Monday morning for the trial. I pray that he's his usual self and that we can see if the baclofen pump is going to help his tone.

Aside from that, everything has been going well. Aidan is enjoying school and has even begun to try to hold his head up. I posted a new video on YouTube of him doing this. So many of you follow us on Facebook, that I often forget to post blog entries, too.

Earlier this month I had the opportunity to go on a retreat with other moms of near-drown children. We met in Seattle, WA and spent the weekend at one of the mom's vacation home at Suncadia Resort near Cle Elum, WA. It was an amazing experience and I am so grateful to the wonderful friend who paid for my plane ticket there and another friend who helped with a little spending money. The whole weekend was completely paid for by donations from some very generous and wonderful friends of Sue (Luke's mom). Sue's daughter, Amy, and friend, Yoli, also stayed with us and did the cooking and cleaning up. (Thank you so much, ladies! It was a pleasure getting to know you both!)

We spent a day in Seattle going to Ivar's for lunch, Pike Place market, the Space Needle, and then we rode the monorail to downtown and ate dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. It was a long, but extremely enjoyable day. Sunday, we walked to the lodge and then some of us rode to the resort's winery and had lunch. It was such a relaxing afternoon, and that evening we spent some time sharing more about our kids and played bunco. There were tons more laughs than tears, and I left there relaxed and missing the 11 other moms before I even walked out the door. I felt like I knew every single one of them my entire life. We are going to try to make this a yearly trip, and I can't wait for next year.

Every year I try to list what I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for these things all year round but seeing that tomorrow is Thanksgiving, it just seems appropriate to share. I am thankful for Russell, Aidan, Evan, and Graceyn (our newest addition), for the rest of our family and friends. I'm thankful for everything that I have, for my business that is slowly taking off. I'm thankful that I healed from having 2 surgeries this year and that we've been able to keep Aidan out of the hospital with an illness. I'm thankful for having the opportunity to meet other moms who know exactly how I feel, for their friendship and for everyone who has supported and prayed with and for us.

I could go on and on, but I think you get it. Despite how bad things can be at times, I have so much to be thankful for. Thank you everyone for your love, support and prayers. Please continue to pray for Aidan as we are going to be doing this baclofen trial this coming Monday. I hope it's the answer to his tone and stiffness. Please also pray that he gets over this sinus congestion/cold and that it doesn't get any worse. It is so hard keeping him well this time of year.

I hope everyone has a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!
~Erin

No comments: